Friday, April 7, 2023

Happy Easter

 When I lived in areas where I could get into the woods in winter, on Ash Wednesday, I would cut a branch of an alder tree, sit it in a jug of water, and by Easter weekend, the leaves would be budding, bringing joy and live-greenery into my home. Alas, the snow is much too deep here to venture into the forest, so I simply picked up a tree branch that I found while walking. No greenery, but still a good prop for my homemade Easter decorations. I only have a couple left that were made by my children (20+ years old); but my Asian students enjoyed the craft, and it makes me so happy to have those mementos.



 
After the month long muscle tension followed by a head cold, I decided to adopt an anti-inflamatory diet. And after a few weeks, my morning head felt clearer and my arthritis eased up a little. But I'm a realist, so I'm looking to eat clean MOST of the time. I mean, a girl needs a good latte and a piece of carrot cake every now and then, right? So last week, I took myself to Deer Lake for a leisurely breakfast followed by thrifting and a visit to my favorite Dollarama Store. I was pleased with my 2 new-to-me polka-dot t-shirts and an Old Navy  maxi-dress that I found. But my favorite find of the day were these freeze-dried strawberries; 80 calories a bag at $1.25 Cdn each. 

(These are not the whole bag)
Initially I bought 3 bags as I didn't know if they'd be any good. But the next day I went for groceries in the city and went to both  Dollaramas where I bought as many as I could without being an inconsiderate shopper; it was difficult, but I left plenty for others. Those stores also had bags of apples and a strawberry/banana combo. 

They are delicious! Crunchy, melt-in-your-mouth texture with a deep strawberry flavor. I often accompany these with a few pieces of 75% dark chocolate. Yummy!

Easter will be spent at my daughter's, and we're doing ham and scalloped potatoes this year. I'm responsible for a nice green salad. And with any luck, someone else will bring a dessert worthy of my tossing my anti-inflamatory notions out the window again that day.

I hope your Easter is one of peace for you and some good food.
Namaste!




4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad you're feeling better these days! Enjoy your Easter with your daughter and family!

Kay G. said...

Happy Easter! I love that idea of bringing in an alder tree branch and seeing it come to life. What a wonderful symbol for Easter.
Take care and stay healthy!

bahnwärterin said...

happy easter to you!
your egg-docorated branch looks lovely - and the attached memories are priceless....
glad the anti-inflamatory diet works for you - of cause one needs a bit of festive cheating from time to time ;-D
never tried freeze-dried fruits..... only sun-dried.... yesterday we weeded, fertilized with composted horse manure and replanted the strawberry bed for fresh from the garden fun in june!
xxxx

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Easter ! Surprised you still have so much snow there. It is very Spring like here this weekend. It's bright and sunny and things are looking a lot like Spring arrived. We are having ham too. It's a favorite of mine !Hopefullyy you'll be seeing some snow melting soon!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...