Thursday, April 27, 2023

Managing Pain

Spring has finally come to western Newfoundland! The snow has melted around town and is slowly leaving the forest and mountains. With any luck, I can actually walk my favorite brookside path today. The other morning, I bundled up and sat outside with my coffee, and I had some new visitors from a nearby house. (One must now be more careful where one walks!)


For the past two weeks, I've been dealing with debilitating arthritis pain in my right hand, arm and shoulder. (It seems as if now that I've retired, my body thinks it should break down and point out all my ailments immediately! Scheesch!) My doctor just yesterday prescribed Tylenol 3 (which I will take sparingly) and sent me for an x-ray on my hand so we can be sure that it is arthritis and perhaps determine what kind. 

In the meantime, I'll keep to my own pain routine: I'm still trying to eat an anti-inflammatory diet at least 80% of the time, and I'm a huge proponent of cannabis which is, thank goodness, legal in Canada. With my sensitivity to prescription drugs, it is the only thing I've found that will alleviate most of the pain and has no side effects.  Finding CBD only (no psychoactive effects) is difficult here; I do have CBD gummies and I use an infused cream. But CBD alone has not as effective as weed with THC. Moderation in everything has always been one of my personal tenets! But aging is a new adventure that I find I must take on a daily basis: some days will be better than others, I guess, and I must adjust accordingly.  


Any suggestions you might have on dealing with arthritis pain would be more than welcome.

  • Drinking green tea? 
  • Applying an onion poltice? 
  • Dancing (not naked) round my fire pot at midnight?
 I'll try it all! In the meantime, the sun is coming out ...... and I can hear the forest calling. 

Namaste y'all!



6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sorry to hear about your arthritis pain. Glad cannabis gives you some relief though. I have no other remedies to suggest, alas.

bahnwärterin said...

chickens in the neighborhood!
i hope they left some eggs in your garden.... :-D
nasty arthritis. my newest spots are left shoulder and right thumb root.... arrrgh. dancing - anyway in which costume and around what - is a good idea. gentle moves and the endorphines will help for sure. and i heard of kryotheray - with you cold winters a low cost thing maybe ;-D
i do apply a cream with comfrey... and i´m waiting un-patiently for the legalizing of cannabis here in germany! lucky canadians!!!
my best health wishes to you! xxxxx

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Arthritis is very effected by the weather so with warming weather coming hopefully you and I will feel much better. I have it too. I no longer am able to walk paths like you do but I know my old bones love soaking up some sunshine. Take care and feel better! Love, ma

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Thank you everyone who commented and for your help. I anxiously await warmth. And although they leave no eggs yet, I'll dance with my new friends. Hahaha.

Retired Jay said...

My arthritis pain and trigger finger are no longer a problem with regular use of Naturulz. It is an herbal cream, hard to get retail these days but easily ordered direct from the company on Oregon. I’m told Amazon has it too. I used daily for several weeks, now as needed. Retired Jay

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Thank you, Retired Jay. Unfortunately, I can't buy it in Canada. But it's a CBD cream and I can find other alternatives that bring relief; but so expensive.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...