Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ladies & Gentlemen, my good friend ..... Mr Television!

Yeah --- so look. I'm almost 55, and I'm (happily) single. My children are growing up and leaving the nest (see the tears amidst the huge smile?). And if you've been reading my posts, you already know that my body is giving me not-so-subtle signs of slowing down.


Gone are the years of rushing hither and yon pursuing various interests and flights of fancy! Gone are the days spent in the endless pursuit of knowledge --and the safest way to have the most fun while remaining legal! Gone is the time spent on late nights and numerous bottles of vino! These days, I must pick and choose the things on which to spend my time and energy. And this is based not just on interest level and availability, but on the degree of importance I put on it and whether I would have enough down-time in between these activities.

"Me-Time" is of utmost importance now-a-days. I not only enjoy it, but I need it. I need it in order to function at the highest level of health, efficiency and personal satisfaction that I can achieve. I need it to refresh and rejuvenate!

Me-Time has many forms:





Time for exercise (which includes my passion for gardening).

Time spent with God in prayer & worship.

Time for the occasional massage.

Time to savor of a good glass of wine or a great piece of chocolate.

Time spent just being alone.





But there's one thing that I indulge in almost every day -- television!

Not only do I watch television almost every day, but I fully admit that I can be a little manic about about missing "my shows". "What!! The VCR didn't tape! Who got voted off Survivor? What happened with Jack & Kate & Sawyer on the island?"


My eldest daughter has been known to make fun of me and my obsession with TV. My foreign student quietly laughs as I head for the couch every evening & pick up the TV guide (which is highlighted with my favorite programs as well as any that look interesting). But you know what:


I ain't appoligizin' about it no more -- SEE!!

(The above line should be read in your best Jimmy Cagney accent.)
No more feeling ashamed or telling myself that I could go for a walk instead. I've put in 54+ years, and I'm still workin' hard; and if I want to sit on the couch and watch TV, I'll do it!


And you know what? I like Mr TV. He's a fairly reliable friend who does his best to entertain and enlighten. Sure he can monopolize my time if I let him, but I always feel more relaxed after I've hung out with him. And what's more, I love having the opportunity to be transported to someone else's world - a world I've chosen to visit. I love the imagination shown by the creators of shows like Fringe or Lost; I love visiting the past thru Masterpiece Theatre; I love the strength and/or endurance and/or ambition and/or ugliness of humanity that I see on Survivor. I love peeking into other people's houses and viewing their furniture or color choices thru the various decorating shows. It's good, cheap, harmless fun. And Mr TV demands nothing in return from me.


So wadda-ya say! How many of you out there have a closet relationship with Mr Television as well. Are you woMAN enough to admit it! I double dare you!!


4 comments:

Cindy said...

Just by reading this post, I wished we lived closer to each other!! I'm happily single and I love Mr TV too! I got sucked into the the first show of Bachelorette last night...I think it's going to be a good one. I love Jillian! I'll be glued to that until the end!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I wish we lived closer too; California sounds purty darn good to me! (Ahh, but the best time of year in Nova Scotia is just beginning -- so maybe I'll move in November!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy, I was delighted to have you visit the Vintage Nest blog and for signing up for the cottage give-away. Nothing wrong with Mr. T.V. at all. He's my man every evening... :) a great sleep inducer. ~

lynn'sgarden said...

Shoot, Doris, I was hoping you could explain "Lost" for me...I watch every week and am more confused when the season ended!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...