Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Thrifty Weekend

Friday's shopping trip to the city took in 2 Value Village stores, the Salvation Army Thrift Shop and Home Sense. Then on Saturday, I went to a couple of awesome yard sales. I won't show you the clothes I got on Friday (I suspect not everyone will share my fashion tastes) or the plants I bought on Saturday (at least, not until I show you my updated garden shots).

I was mostly focused on purchasing for the garden or the deck. But I did get a few other items.





Here's a little birdhouse for 50 cents, a small resin planter with a blue dragonfly on it for another 50 cents; a pretty thermometer for yet another 50 cents; and a moth-shaped tea light holder with pretty glass beads for $1. And all of this is placed on my new $1 each placemats from the Dollarama! Very summery feeling!




I was stoked to be the first one to find this stepping stone for the garden for $2 -- never used and still in its package! The next item is called a "friendship ball"; I've admired them at boutiques for a couple of years, but their $25 plus price tag kept me from buying one. I picked this one up for $6.98 + tax; again, you can't really see the colors (too bad) but it's blue with splotches of darker blue, green, red & yellow.



This painted wooden plaque with pegs is cute, and it features "The Matthew" in a Newfoundland harbour town: bought by me for $1.98 plus tax! And the lovely embroidered "Home is Where the Heart Is" was overlooked by many but scooped up by me for $2; I want to repaint the frame.


I picked up these great gardening books for $2 each. Lots of good reading and great ideas in there. And I also got about a dozen old gardening magazines and a cute little file tote to stack them in.

8 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What great deals you got. It's so much fun to go bargain shopping. You just never know what you'll find.

Shell in your Pocket said...

The Garden Project book looks wonderful and full of ideas!
sandy toe

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my Shabby Cottage today for Wordless Wednesday. Today's word was salt & pepper...all those hunks had salt and pepper hair and the dogs and bears are salt shakers. Warm wishes for a wonderful week, Esther

Dani said...

wow! what great steals for some beautiful pieces. Enjoy!
Hugs, Dani

Teena in Toronto said...

You can get some good stuff at Value Village. I haven't been in a while, though.

wendy said...

Well, you are indeed a bargain hunter and finder. Come on --show the cloths --I wanna see your fashion sense.

lynn'sgarden said...

Those were certainly great finds, Doris! And at those prices, all the better! I have a similiar wall vase..they are cool and different.
Btw, loved your family outing photos :)
Lynn

musingwoman said...

It's always nice to find things you like and can afford!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...