Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Wanderings

.

My Saturday featured a trip to picturesque Mahone Bay for their 2-weekend Father Christmas Festival. The weather was lovely and warm (6 deg F). We went to a local craft show, wound our way in and out of lovely little shops (where I bought a little icicle garland for my tree), and then had a long, relaxing, delicious lunch at The Biscuit Eater (carrot soup, vanilla latte and pecan shortbread)..

There was such a happy, carefree, festive feel everywhere we went. Here are just 3 of the many beautiful Santas to be found. There was an old fashioned brass band playing Xmas caroles outside the bake shop. Santa himself was selling Xmas trees next door. And there were 2 horse drawn wagons that passed us carrying people on a mini-tour of the village.




The highlight of the day for me was -- as is every year at this time -- the Suttles & Seawinds barn which is set up as a old-timey shop selling all sort of tasty treats (and their tasty free samples!) from local artisans as well as a few from other parts of the province. A different winery is featured each of the 4 days: I bought icewine to give as a gift. There were home-made chocolates and wonderful cookies & squares; plum puddings, peanut brittle, jams, jellies 'n' chutneys. And my favorite bakery, Julian's of Chester, had a display of wonderful breads; Diana and I went halves on one of his Xmas stolens -- the one with the yummy chunk of marzipan in the centre!.


Upstairs in the barn was an enchanted forest for the kiddies; and outside the Suttles shop, they had these gorgeous little gnome homes. So cute!.


After a short rest period at home (because enjoying oneself is sooooo tiring!!), the girls and I joined about 60 others at a turkey dinner for the international students and their host families. Dessert is pot luck, so there was a wonderful variety of goodies to choose from. Then Santa showed up!


.


I didn't sit on his lap this year, but I did press my luck and ask for some extra special gifts. (I pointed out the money he'd save on wrapping paper and ribbons by simply putting my living, breathing, 6' hunka-hunka gift in a body bag.)


Santa laughed at me!!!


.




Regardless of rude Santas, I just love this time of year!
.
.


.

12 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I just can't believe that Santa was rude to you - you just asked for a little hunk!

sandie

TARYTERRE said...

Santa needs to be more accommondating. SERIOUSLY, it's Christmas, for goodness sake. Loved all the beautiful photos. Sounds like a lovely day. I bought a stollen just like that. They are so delicious. But I must admit the festive atmosphere there would make yours taste better. LOL I must admit I'm crazy for the little gnome houses. Years ago, an artist friend made one for my little girls. They loved it. I still have the tables and chairs that went inside it. Christmas is definitely in the air. Take care.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

You know how to live life and it looks like you enjoy it all.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a lovely place to visit. It does sound like a wonderful way to spend a day. You do have quite a large group with exchange students in your area. Nice that you all have each other to share with. I haven't seen any rude Santa's around here and hope I don't...Only Jolly Old St. Nicholas allowed..Tomorrow is his special day you know.

Pamela Gordon said...

Sounds like a fun day. I didn't know Suttles and Seawinds was still around. I haven't heard of them for years. Those gnome houses are so cute. Have a great week!

Red said...

Amazed at the great stuff that is decorating the place.

Donna said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Love the gnome homes.

DearHelenHartman said...

That Santa! Girls just wanna have fun, after all.

Pat MacKenzie said...

Mahone Bay is so beautiful isn't it. What a fun time. I love winter festivals. They make ice wine in the Okanaghan Valley where one of my daughters lives. It's the only wine I like. I hope you got some for yourself as well as for gift-giving.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

What a wonderful time ya'll had! It looked like my kinda place.

What was Santa thinkin'??? I know you've been 'nice', the man should of promised ya the world!!!

God bless and have a great day sweetie!!!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Sounds like a fun day at a beautiful place.I love strolling through shops and enjoying all the decorations, the smell of trees and carriages.
Happy holidays!

My Little Home and Garden said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I'm returning the favour and really enjoyed your post on Mahone Bay. I was there once and it truly is picturesque.
Loved your sense of humour. I'm going to snoop around a little more!
-Karen

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...