Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thursday at the Market

.
The potato casserole, dressing and Xmas Bombe are prepared and in the freezer; the cranberry sauce has been made; Rugelach and Gingerbread are finished and stored for the big day; girls are tired of being "Xmasie" and just want a regular day where they sleep until noon. So, today I did something I've wanted to do for years.....
.
I went to the Farmer's market in Lunenburg which I never get to go to because I'm working. What a wonderful time of year to visit the market! It is full to the rafters with Christmas -- smells, tastes, sounds, signs!
.
After visiting a bread stall (where I got a big fat pretzel), I visited Grand Pre Winery's stall (where I got 3 tiny samples of wine -- red, white and dessert). Yeah! Sure! I know it was only 9:30 AM. But if bread and wine are good enough for Jesus (who's birthday is very soon, ya know), then they're good enough for Sandy! And I'm sure that big fat pretzel soaked up any alcohol I might have imbibed!.
There were gorgeous displays of local cheese. (The Gouda was very gooda!) There was fresh haddock, salmon, lobster and sole; there was grain-fed, organic beef, pork and chicken. There were at least 4 different stalls selling breads and fruit pastries. There were several tables of jams and jellies and pestos and dips and pickles etc etc etc. -- with sampling! Be still my heart! Sampling! (I bought a Red Pepper Pesto and spiced mixed nuts. The middle Eastern pesto with dates & spices was divine too. Oh for goodness sake! It was all divine!)
.
There was one lovely booth full of fragrant Spanakopita, Mini Quiche, Tourtiere, Meat Pastries and such -- so lovely and fragrant and enticing that I bought their variety box for Xmas Eve dinner. With a green salad and a bottle of red, won't it be ducky, darling, delicious!.
There was greenery everywhere, and the smell of pine and fir was intoxicating.
.
And then there was this .....
The German Cake Lady! Have you never had traditional German baked goods? They are so good! (But a little pricey too! As much as I wanted that Chocolate Hazelnut Torte, I couldn't bring myself to pay $28; but I did get a sample!) I settled for a small plate of cookies -- Cinnamon stars, Almond stars, Linzer Torte & Sand crescents.
.
Why, even Santa and Mrs Claus were there playing harp and mandolin. When I asked if I could take their picture, Santa insisted that I come and sit on his lap and have my picture taken. (Ya know; Santa looks remarkably like Dr Abriel from Mahone Bay. Isn't that strange!)

Santa "Ho, ho, hoed" and said that it was probably a long, long time since I'd sat on Santa's lap: and I said yes, and that I hadn't been a very good girl since then!
.
But he said not to worry; he'll be here Saturday night!
.
.
PS: Santa did not say what he would bring me. But if he remembers my letters from the last 14 years, there'll be a 6' tall package named Carlos under my tree and 2 tickets to Guada la Hara in my sock!
.


11 comments:

Red said...

Super description of the market! As you say things look very tempting.

Bonnie said...

May you find Carlos under your tree holding your tickets. And, I see no reason you can't start early being bad, oh so bad for next year! Merry Christmas!

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Sandy,
loved the market. Wow, what an array of goodies. Yum.
Would like to have something like that near here.
I've baked most of our goodies. I did get a gift of expensive truffles from a friend and got a Hickory Farms selection of jams/jellies from a neighbor.
Have a lovely Christmas.
Barb

TARYTERRE said...

I am so hungry after reading your post. All those pictures of food. I bet the market was intoxicating. Of course it was, you said you tasted a bit of wine. LOL I hope Santa brings you just what you wished for. Then all of us here want to hear all about it. LOL Take care. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your loved ones. I'll be hobbling along with my cane. Seems I tore the meniscus in both of my knees. So I'll muddle through somehow. Take care.

Janet said...

Thanks for sharing the market with us - had wanted to go, but work just gets in the way of having fun!!

May your Christmas be Merry and Bright, Sandy - and I hope Santa's good to you ;)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I did a market day similar to yours on Weds. I bought some things I wouldn't usually get and splurged! It's a good thing I don't go often. They didn't have a Santa though. Your picture is adorable. Hope your Christmas wishes come true for you!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh girl...I wanna go! What a fabulous place your market looked like.

That pic of you and the Big Guy...too cute!

I hope ya have your six foot stockin' ready and waitin' 'cause if anyone deserves a Carlos...it's you sweet friend.

God bless and have a great Christmas with your friends and fam.

MERRY CHRISTMAS YA'LL!!! :o)

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hoping your Christmas wish comes true!

Merry Christmas....

Spencer

Marguerite said...

Your trip to the market sounds heavenly and what a good idea to pre-make all your Christmas treats. You look quite pleased sitting on Santa's lap. Merry Christmas and best wishes to you in the new year.

Jeanne said...

Hello Sandy, Love your fun post at the Market. Cute photos and it sounds like Christmas will be awesome in your home this year.
Merry Christmas,
Blessings, Jeanne

Deborah said...

That santa looks really good!

Nice to meet you and I'll be following you. Thanks for the follow!

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...