Monday, May 28, 2012

Hummingbird Cake (aka King's Landing Crown Cake)



Several people commented that they didn't know what Hummingbird Cake was, so here's the recipe.  It an easy, simple cake to make and always a crowd pleaser.




Hummingbird Cake

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple, well drained
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 2 cups chopped firm ripe banana


Preheat oven to 350°. Mash bananas; add oil, eggs, and vanilla and stir well.  Add pineapple and chopped nuts and stir again.  Sift flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon together and blend into into mixing bowl several times. Pour into well greased and floured bundt pan.  Bake for roughly 40 minutes or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto cooling rack. Cool completely.


This is a very moist cake by itself but it's also great with a simple vanilla/almond glaze like I did. You can also go the extra mile and bake it in a couple of layer cake pans (30 min) and frost middles, top and sides with cream cheese icing, then pat in a layer of chopped nuts half way up the sides. Very impressive!


Enjoy!

9 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

GREAT recipe. Do the tops look like that straight out of a bundt pan???

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thanks for the recipe. I copied it to try out.

Diana said...

Oh thank you! That sounds sooo good and easy enough for me to bake! LOL!!
I will give the recipe to my daughter so she can make it! Love Di ♥

Susan Maricle said...

I'd love to see a post with a series of photos as the cake is being made. I can't imagine making a cake this beautiful with the bundt pans I have!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Sounds um, um, good!

Bonnie said...

Hummingbird cake is a staple in many southern kitchens. Your's is exceptionally pretty. I know it was yummy. Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by Ms. Redo - I think we were indeed destined to be friends, we have so much in common - grey hair while still raising our kids :) Hey, it's great to be a late starter, or shall we fib and say we greyed early? Well, either way, stop by any time and I'll be back for more visits, too. Hugs ~ Mary

Bev said...

Sounds wonderful!!

Pat MacKenzie said...

A beautiful cake. I'll try it soon. Thanks for sharing.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...