Monday, January 9, 2023

A Magic Trail Walk

 

Because Newfoundland (NL) winters are so long and harsh, and because CB was so 'hilly' and icy, winter usually meant I was stuck indoors most of the time. Each spring when I could safely get outside to walk, I'd notice that my strength and endurance had lessened. 

My new community is flat which means I can walk year round. It's off the highway, tucked in the Humber Valley and surrounded by alpine forest on 3 sides and the Humber River on the other. There are so many trails to discover, some of which will have to wait until spring (so I don't get lost). But seeing as my word for 2023 is Explore,  I'm anxious to do just that. 

The view outside my kitchen window is a peaceful one, overlooking the trees (and the storage garage). Western NL has had a very mild winter to date. There's just enough snow on the ground to sparkle and just enough cold to make the snow crunch. The end of my street is a dead end which leads to a small copse of fir trees; you can hear a brook below but you can't see it and it's too steep to reach. However, there at the end of a chain link fence is a path leading downhill; this path is often covered with the footprints of small children and dogs, so today I decided to follow those footsteps.

At the bottom of the hill and around a bend, I came upon the brook. The path widened at this point and followed the water. Other than the sound of the water gurgling around rocks and icy patches, it was so quiet and peaceful. 











There were places where trees had fallen and you either had to go under or take the path around. In two places you could see the back side of other senior's cottages. But mostly, it was just me and the forest. Walking through this particular 'promenade' was magical: the sound of the brook combined with the snow laden fir boughs overhead was so enchanting!


The path eventually led to a bridge and onto the main road. And lo and behold! There ahead of me were the creators of the footsteps I'd been following - a mom, 2 children and 2 dogs. I followed them up the street, we took a right through another little senior's cottage community, and then following the sidewalks, they led me straight to my street. Thank you!


My leisurely stroll took me about an hour. After peeling off my many layers of clothing, and stretching my muscles for a cool down, I made myself a homemade chai latte in my beautiful last-Xmas mug. Ahhhh! This is a good start to a new year in a new community. 

Do you enjoy winter? What do you do to get through?



Namaste my friends!







7 comments:

Sandi said...

Beautiful mug! Ah, snow...lovely. ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog today! I'm always happy to meet another Canadian blogger! Newfoundland is the only province in Canada that I have not visited but I hope to get there someday. I love, love, LOVE that beautiful mug!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm not able to go on hikes like that anymore. The most walking I do is in the grocery store pushing a cart. I don't really like winter at all and have the joy to be on vacation in Florida. That's my kind of winter! I don't like being cold. But I'm glad you have such a wonderful spot to enjoy and can still enjoy winter and snow.

Polly said...

I don't like cold and wet, (a lot of what we have at the moment), but your lovely walk wearing warm clothing would be right up my street :-)

bahnwärterin said...

i love winter!
so thank you for the photos and the description of the quiet snowy forest - my natural habitat :-D
here its much to warm for the season - but we save on heating, so i will not moan.
stay warm! xxxx

The Happy Whisk said...

I love that you have an area that is flat to walk. That’s a huge wonderful thing to get out. Love the room for plants on your window. Talking about sparkling snow, I love when at night I see the snow glitter. So pretty.

I enjoy winter and I also like the darker days (even though first day of winter where I live the days start to get longer). Hubby loves winter too. We don’t really do anything to get through because we enjoy it.

Though my very, very first winter here (we get Canadian winters), and my first one I was too scared to drive and I missed all the walking I used to be able to do in the old place. Now, I just go out when it’s cold and it’s all quite nice. I love shoveling snow in the wee early mornings, when the cold is fresh and no wind.

So peaceful.

Cheers, Ivy.

Connie said...

Your photos are marvelous, you certainly captured that winter wonderland feel. I have four seasons where I live Spring, Summer, Autumn and Quilting Season, LOL. Now that I'm older, I don't like being outside as much as when I was young, basically because I have a fear of falling on the ice and we have already had our share of ice this year.

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...