Saturday, January 14, 2023

Food for a Nasty Day

It's -3 C (26.6 F) out there and freezing rain is falling. I'm glad I decided to cook yesterday so I can enjoy my time inside today.


Newfoundland comfort food
I baked a ham on New Year's Day and froze the leftovers. So, I made yellow split pea soup: thick, slightly salty and so comforting. Most Newfies use salt beef, but ham works just as well for me. But I didn't make the traditional doughboys (dumplings) as I have a sensitivity to wheat. I'd rather use my wheat rations for something else.

Something like these delicious Homemade Fig Bars.


Add a dollop of yogurt or cream
I'm slowly making my way through a bag of dried figs and found the perfect recipe. They are similar to a date square except the bottom is more of a shortbread. I made a few changes to suit my tastes and pantry. 

When I made the fig jam filling, I grated a little orange zest into it. And seeing I didn't have walnuts or pecans, I substituted chopped almonds, cashews and sunflower seeds.




Those were great choices! These squares are da bomb! Now ........... what shall I watch on television?

Stay warm and safe (and well fed). Namaste! 


 


5 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Ohhh, I love soup. Also love figs and wanted to get some to write my own fig bar square bake. So much fun to bake and play. LOVE THAT! Cheers, Ivy.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I always gain weight in the winter as I eat more hearty dishes and don't get as much exercise. I do love split pea soup but never heard of yellow split peas. Mine are always green. The fig bars look very good too. What a great way to spend a winter day. I bet your house smelled good!

Iris Flavia said...

Pink-haired sounds FUN!
I once wanted black, looked like an aubergine and when trying to get it out like a carrot.
Just to years later finding out I´m brown/red-haired.

6C here. That soup (and the bowl!) look great.

Sad I don´t like sweets. But I plan to have porridge some morning soon... If my sweet tooth wakes up again (it mostly hibernates).

Abby said...

Mmmm, now I'm hungry for split pea soup and homemade fig bars!

bahnwärterin said...

the food sounds yummy - perfect for the cold winter days!
i would left out the ham (no pork because arthritis) and substitute the wheat with spelt (because of the arthritis)..... today i cook a whole white cabbage which will us distribute lots of vitamin C for a few days in different dishes :-D
stay warm! xxx

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...