Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I AM THANKFUL ...

My grandpa served and fought bravely and lived proudly until his 90th birthday. He was one of my greatest heros -- a beautiful, loving, generous man who would not talk about the atrocities he saw. I'm so glad he fought for me!



In Flanders Fields
by John McCrae, May 1915


In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.


We are the Dead.

Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.


Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

9 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Wow, I love that! I look at some of the old veterans that were in WWII. What wonderful honorable men they are.
My youngest son served a tour of duty in Iraq, looking like Afghanistan in the next year or so. Regardless of peoples feelings of this war, I'm still proud to have a son willing to serve our country.

Anita said...

That is a very lovely sentiment and I too am proud to be able to offer up my thanks and rememberances to: both my grandfathers, my father and uncles, my husband, and to my various cousins and friends, all willing to serve. Heartfelt thanks also to all other members past and present of our military family.

A human kind of human said...

Thank you so much for remembering and posting about it. I have been involved with the military all my life through friends and family as well as personally for the past 32 years. Therefore Armistice/Rememberance Day has alwys been an important commemoration for me, but sadly in SA these days, many soldiers do not even know what it represents. Thank you for remembering.

Liz Wilkey (a.k.a. A Mom on Spin) said...

Great post!

My father fought in WWII and loves to share his stories.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

God bless all the soldiers and families who have sacrificed all so we can enjoy living in free countries.

I say thank you with all my heart!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I am thankful too!

Toronto Yardsaler said...

Hello Sandy,
What a beautiful blog you have. I just caught your comment on mine. I will link Aging Disgracefully. Great name! Yes, we like a lot of the same stuff. My husband and I would love to move to Nova Scotia one day. I left a shout out to you on my updated last post.
Cheers,
Erin

CB said...

Great post! I have enjoyed reading the different tributes for all of our Veterans!! They deserve to be recognized each year - My heart is Thankful too!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Thank you for remember Veterans Day and doing a post
Just found you tonight and its so funny your name of your site. I just did a post about aging
Maggie

Fibromyalgia

  Sorry! I thought I could return to a normal schedule. But my sense of 'normal' has changed. After the past 5 years of various ailm...